Here at Unsettled, one of our core philosophies is to inspire each other to live life more boldly in every moment. To see every day as a chance to embrace the unknown, discover something new, and dive into a new adventure.
We do this on every retreat – we’ve faced snow storms, earthquakes, hurricanes, political disruptions and volcanic eruptions – and we’ve also done this in our own personal lives.
Today we’d like to celebrate our community – our alumni and current participants – and the crazy moments in which they’ve pursued a bolder side of life, intentionally or (more often than not) unintentionally.
So, we asked our alumni one simple question: What’s one thing you’ve experienced that (you think) no one else at Unsettled has?
Here’s presenting, our badass Unsettled alumni, in their own words*
The Unsettled Unexpected Bucket List
- Started a fire during a job interview! (Yep)
- Gave a presentation above the Arctic Circle in Ilulissat, Greenland.
- Held Snoop Dogg’s face in my hands.
- Was voice over for a TLC documentary on Prince Charles wedding to Camilla.
- Hiked almost 20km (12 miles) along the Amalfi coast in flip flops with Kevin Dillion and his girlfriend (Entourage fans?!) and ended the hike with a celebratory dinner, bottomless prosecco and a sleepover in their Praiano villa.
- Danced with Che Guevara’s daughter at a jazz club in Havana.
- Learned how to play the Chinese zither (guzheng) in Guilin, China
- Participated in a project on nude self-portraits in art school…then had to present them to the entire class.
- Asked Alan Tudyk to marry me at a Comic Con once. He said no.
- It was an after-party for a work Christmas party in Los Angeles. I was happy on booze and somehow started dancing with a very handsome man at a bar. We had a random chat. After a few minutes, I asked, ‘What is your name?’ He said: ‘Jude’. I said: ‘What, like Jude Law?’ He said: ‘Yes, I am Jude Law’. I think he was very amused when I walked away and didn’t make a big deal of it. Turns out, we crashed Sherlock Holmes movie premiere after-party!
- Chartered a helicopter to land on Niihau, Hawaii forbidden island that’s closed to tourists. I then hunted for Niihau shells among the seals.
- Hunted with pygmies in the Congolese rainforest.
- Ran and crawled for 200km in six days in Bhutan through mud, jungle, heat, cold in an altitude of 3700m.
- Tested herds of Cape Buffalo for TB in South Africa. And moved elephants and other animals park-to-park for their safety.
- Carried a 60lb bag of concrete up a mountain river ravine wearing buckskin I sewed together with a porcupine needle after a two hour ballet class.
- Hiked Mount Batur – an active volcano in Bali – up and down, barefoot.
- Tricked out a vintage Cadillac hearse with Day of the Dead decals and went on a Christmas road trip through Death Valley and ghost towns of the eastern Sierras.
- Was locked up by police on an all-night train behind the Iron Curtain..
- Slept overnight on a hidden airplane in the woods.
- Flew into a national park in Alaska only accessible by small plane to watch baby bears close-up while they dig for clams.
- Made reusable sanitary pads with Tanzanian women.
- Trekked in Rwanda and hung out with Silverback Gorillas
- Ran from a swarm of bees in the middle of a goat ranch outside of La Ventana, Mexico, and only managed to get stung twice!
- Jumped out of a burning plane at 1,700ft. Luckily I had a parachute. The plane didn’t.
*All alum identities have been hidden to secure privacy (and embarrassment).
If you’ve done any of the above, claim your prize in the comments below.